Are you accepting new clients?

We are currently accepting some new clients. We are not taking new corporations or partnerships but we are taking trusts and estates.

How much will it cost me to have you do my tax return?

It depends on the forms needed to complete your return, the complexity of your situation, the amount of data we need to enter and the time it takes to organize your materials (if you have a rental or small business and you bring us a shoe box of receipts!)

Generally, personal returns with no business, rental or extensive investment income will cost between $200 and $300 for a federal return and one state.  Add approximately $55 for each additional state and approximately $75 for each activity such as a small business (self-employment) or rental property.

The best way for us to give you a better estimate of the cost is for you to bring in your prior year return and then tell us if anything has changed.  We can review the prior return and let you know.

If you want us to prepare returns for your dependent children we will charge them half price.

What do you need from me if I am a new client?

We need to see your prior two years’ returns and have you complete a New Client Intake form.  We also must see social security cards for everyone (including dependents) on the return and a photo id for either the taxpayer or the spouse who delivers the materials.

We also need a signed Engagement letter and a completed and signed Questionnaire.

Finally we need your current year materials such as your W-2s, 1099s and K-1s, etc.

Do I need to schedule an appointment?

We do want to meet you and review your materials.  After the first year you are welcome to drop your materials off.  We recommend that you bring your prior year return and a complete New Client Intake form and make an appointment when you deliver that material so that we can meet with you while preparing your current year return.  Unfortunately as we get closer to the deadline we can only accept new clients who are willing to go on extension.

How do I choose a preparer?

All of our preparers have more than 10 years of experience.  Each of us has areas of specialty but we work closely with each other to share our expertise.  Please contact a particular preparer if you prefer or just get in touch with Donna, our office manager, and she will match you up with the best preparer for your situation.

ALL CLIENTS—1040 personal returns

Do I have to fill out new forms every single year?

Unfortunately, in order to make sure we cover everything for which we are responsible, we do need an Engagement Letter and Questionnaire every year.

We also need a copy of your current driver’s license or state issued id to file in most states.

PARENTS, PLEASE NOTE, WE CANNOT COMPLETE YOUR dependent’s return if they are 18 years old or older without a separate Engagement Letter and Questionnaire.

Do I need an appointment or can I just drop off my materials?

We are always happy to meet with you if you have questions or concerns.  It is often more efficient to leave us your materials and completed forms either BEFORE your appointment or INSTEAD of an appointment.  We will then contact you if we have questions.  The forms you complete help us understand if we need to get more information from you.

Appointments become scarce as we head into March.  If you opt to drop off instead of making an appointment we will ALWAYS make sure we meet with you if there is a need.

Which forms do I need to complete?

We only REQUIRE a Questionnaire and Engagement Letter from every client.

Other forms are available to help you organize your materials if you have specific aspect of your return that calls for detailed information such as:

  •                 Rental Property
  •                 A small business (operated as a sole proprietorship)
  •                 Foreign interests such as income earned abroad or foreign bank accounts
  •                 A farm

We created these forms to HELP US HELP YOU.  We do not want you to be overwhelmed by them and urge you to contact your preparer if you don’t understand the need for the information requested.  If you usually give us information either as QuickBooks reports or as a handwritten or typed summary, with your other tax documents this is fine.  It is helpful if you can review the form to see if you have left anything off that we need.